50/50 Shared parenting – how do you agree finances?

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum 50/50 Shared parenting – how do you agree finances?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Bambi31
    Participant

Wondering if anyone has any advice. Since our separation we have shared time and care of the children equally. I am living at my mums and still contributing to our shared mortgage, because of this we still share a bank account so all of the children’s expenses like clothes etc come out of there and we both just buy food and pay for anything we’re doing with them separately. Once the house sells we’ll close our joint account, what agreements do others have for paying for things like clothes or school trips when there will be no maintenance paid in either direction. Do you just try and split things evenly or are there options to both contribute into some kind of central fund to cover these or do you agree in advance and then split the cost?

#61614 Report

steve3334
    Participant

hi,

if its 50/50 shared parenting, then I would suggest you spend on your kids in the time that they stay with you with clothes, food, toys etc,  and your ex does the same when kids stay with him/her.

#61631 Report

Bambi31
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. Yes we obviously buy what they need when they’re with us, but was wondering whether there’s any way for us to both deposit money somewhere regularly (like you would a joint bank account) that’s transparent etc so that we can pay for the bigger things like school trips or larger outgoings of new school uniform etc as I tend to be the one who organises payment for things the children are doing and I don’t want to be chasing him constantly, I’d rather us both agree to pay in a set amount so that there’s money there and available when these things come up. Maybe there isn’t such a thing.

#61632 Report

NickyBee
    Participant

I have 50/50 parenting. We don’t have any ongoing bank account, but have divided financial responsibility up instead. So for instance, he buys uniform and I buy ‘home’ clothes, I pay for school lunches and he pays for school transport.

#61651 Report

Bambi31
    Participant

That’s an idea to explore thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)