30 Minutes for a Run ???

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum 30 Minutes for a Run ???

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

1965snj
    Participant

I have custody of my 9 year old son and he lives with me. He sees his Mum once or twice a week, but he has worked out that she would rather drink beer than see him.

He is very mature for his age and we have discussed Daddy going out on his own for a 30 minute run once or twice a week and him staying in front of the tv.  I have a niggling doubt about this, as his Mother would use it as a lever against me given an opportunity. If she found out.

So, is there a legal age limit that I can leave my son on his own for 30 minutes, or is it just, use your common sense ? If it weren’t for C-19, I could leave him with neighbours for 30 minutes and there would be no issue. Any thoughts would be appreciated ?

#39150 Report

ECampbell
    Participant

Hey, there is no legal age limit in Scotland for leaving your son alone for a short time. As long as your boy is mature enough to know not to use kitchen appliances etc and keep himself safe whilst you are out. I have two boys and leave them for a short period to go out for a run.  Hope this helps. Emma

#39222 Report

Kathymumofone
    Participant

There is no legal age in England &Wales either but you must make sure your absence isn’t neglect.
    I left my 9yo son to go running. I’d settle him on a Saturday morning with toast & a drink, watching tv, and with the phone for emergencies. I ran a circular route around the village so was never far away if he called.

And I only went if he was happy for me to go. He became quite proud of his little bit of independence.

#39230 Report

1965snj
    Participant

Thank you, that really helps

#39231 Report

1965snj
    Participant

Thanks Kathy, great that he sees it as a step forward too ! Win, win in my book, thank you

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)