Reply To: separation

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum separation Reply To: separation

#35590 Report

Rob in Leeds

Is he the father to your children? Do you know or do you have an idea of his earnings?

Child Maintenance is essentially based on Gross earnings (before income tax) minus any pension contributions & the amount of time the kids spend with the other party overnight (at a different address from where you live).

You can use the online calculator to get an idea of what you may receive if you open a case.

Alternatively you can talk to your (ex) partner about making private arrangements (a family based arrangement) for him to help support the kids. This isn’t necessarily legally binding though unless it becomes part of a divorce settlement.

You may find however that you will have to generate additional income yourself to keep your heads above water.