Banana Bread Recipe
Welcome to week 1 of the Great Ginger Bake!
For week one we are going to be making the nation’s favourite lockdown bake – Banana Bread! You’ll find both gluten-free and standard recipes on the page.
Thea and Mo’s Gluten Free Yogurt Banana Bread Recipe
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 2 eggs
• 1 six ounce cup banana yogurt
• 1/3 cup canola oil
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 2 ripe bananas, mashed (plus additional banana slices for top, if desired)
• Unsweetened cocoa (1/2 cup or to taste)
• 1/2 cup chocolate chips]
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Lightly grease an 8″ or 9″ bread pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients and whisk gently.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl mash the bananas, then add in the eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla. Stir until well blended.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients just until mixed.
- Transfer about 1/2 to 2/3 of batter to prepared pan.
- Mix unsweetened cocoa into remaining batter, until smooth and the desired level of chocolatey
- Pour chocolate batter into pan, making your own design!
- Sprinkle chocolate chips on top (many of these will sink into the cake during baking)
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until bread is lightly browned and internal temperature registers 190 degrees F.
- Let cool for 15 minutes, then remove bread from pan to cool completely.
Banana Bread Recipe
- 285g/10oz plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 110g/4oz butter, plus extra for greasing
- 225g/8oz caster sugar
- 2 free-range eggs
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 85ml/3fl oz buttermilk (or normal milk mixed with 1½ tsp lemon juice or vinegar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, mashed bananas, buttermilk and vanilla extract to the butter and sugar mixture and mix well. Fold in the flour mixture.
- Grease a 20cm x 12.5cm/8in x 5in loaf tin (2lb) and pour the cake mixture into the tin.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for about an hour, or until well-risen and golden-brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
Recipe courtesy of the BBC.